Sunday, November 18, 2012

Meal Planning

On a good week, I go to the grocery store on Sunday/Monday and do the food prep on Monday.  It can be challenging to stick to this schedule – front loading most of the work – but it is always worth it.  

Truman has become pickier in his old age and I am trying to find the balance between making things he enjoys, and not turning our weekly meal plan into a macaroni-hot dog fest. 

(As a side note: We do not worry if Truman skips dinner. He eats a lot during the day and we know that toddlers are less apt to eat big meals at night. (It is a cultural phenomenon to eat a big meal at the end of the day – not a biological one.)  There are no food battles at our house. (Lots of other battles, but we never coerce Truman to eat).
I typically try to plan four or five dinners and a couple of breakfast items (muffin mix that I freeze, granola, or prepping the dry ingredients for pancakes)

Here is our meal plan for this week (a short week):

-          Chard and sweet potato enchiladas with homemade tortillas. I found this recipe here: http://annie.paxye.com/. I make half the tortillas and freeze the other half for a future meal. I have long rolled out my own tortillas, but Jason bought me a tortilla press for my birthday that I will be using for the first time. This is a family favorite recipe and it makes great leftovers.

-          Gado Gado. This is a bed of spinach covered in rice and tons of diced vegetables, tofu, and hard boiled eggs. The entire thing is covered in peanut dressing. It is from the Moosewood Cookbook. 

-          Swedish meatballs and egg noodles. Not the healthiest meal, but will be loved by the boys.  Also makes a good meal to send with Truman to preschool. The recipe is here: http://munchkinfood.blogspot.com/

-          Also on our grocery list: Thanksgiving fixins, quiche, cheesy kale chips, and the usual fruit, coffee, milk, and yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment