Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Tortilla recipe

I really love to make different foods from scratch. Like a lot of people, I am caught up in the DIY movement. I have tried a lot of things that have been good and some have been a waste of time:

  • Ketchup: Totally worth the effort
  • Yogurt: I used a great recipe that didn't require any special equipment OR a thermometer, but yogurt is so cheap so I always felt like I was investing a lot of time for little savings.
  • Graham crackers: Not worth the time. Make some cookies for God's sakes.
  •  Fruit roll ups: An absolute favorite. I typically make them whenever I am trying to impress another mama (oh, goldfish? no thanks, we have some homemade fruit roll ups we made with strawberries from our CSA)
  • Bread: Worth it, but I never mastered it and I don't really have the time.
  • Enchilada sauce: Amazing. So worth it and very easy. Let me know if you want my recipe.
  • Mayonnaise: I have had mixed results. But it is so much better than store-bought. It doesn’t always work for me. The temp of the ingredients and the amount of patience one has for pouring the oil make the difference between perfect lemon-garlic aioli and an oily mess.
The one recipe that has changed my life is homemade tortillas:




The recipe is very basic:

2 cups of all-purpose flour
2 cups of whole wheat flour
10 T Butter at room temperature
1 T Baking Powder
1.5 tsp Sugar
1.5 C water

Cut the butter into the flour. Don't be lazy and use cold butter, it won't work.
Add the remaining ingredients
I mix it with a wooden spoon for a few minutes and then just turn it over on the counter and mix it with my hands/knead it until it is well combined
Let it sit covered on the counter for an hour or two
Roll it into little balls, about the size of a satsuma
Flour the counter and roll out each ball

Add oil to coat the bottom of a pan. Turn heat to medium. Cook until bubbles appear and then flip it and brown the other side. I typically have to add oil after every two tortillas.

This recipe makes about 24 tortillas.

Add a little salt. Enjoy!





3 comments:

  1. reminds me of homemade toritllas at SoJo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. I will help you eat those anytime. Why is Truman so big? What's happening? I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great Mairead! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete