Thursday, March 22, 2012

Truman's First Pet


Randomly last year, I kicked over a small log in our yard only to find a beautiful salamander. Since then, I continually kick over small logs in the hopes of finding a little critter to show Truman. He has been watching me, and he is now also on the hunt for critters. He moves leaf litter to look for beetles, digs in the dirt to find worms, and spots spider webs on the side of the house. He found an inch worm last week and he was ecstatic.

Two days ago when he found a larvae inside a rotting log, my first thought was, "gross." My second thought was, "Can we keep him?" We built a little habitat for him a jar, poked some holes in the lid, and we plan to watch him metamorphasize. The naturalists at my work think it is eaither a slug or a beetle. I am hoping for a beetle because that will be a more dramatic transformation.

No comments:

Post a Comment